Quality Assessment provides useful information to consumers about the quality of accommodation.
QIT acts as a reliable regulatory body for the accommodation and tourism industry, recognising quality, differentiating levels of facilities and services and make potential guests aware of what they can expect before they make a booking.
The standards Quality in Tourism assess to have been created as a result of harmonising standards from the National Tourist Boards for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and also with the cooperation of the AA. Most of the schemes recognise increasing levels of quality using a rating system of 1 – 5 stars. In a select number of schemes, excellence is further acknowledged with the use of the acclaimed Silver and Gold awards.
Quality Standards are a set of guidance notes for participants who wish to be assessed and gain a star rating, as part of the VisitEngland National Quality Assessment Scheme. In addition to the Star Rating assessments Quality in Tourism also undertake a number of accreditations for alternative accommodation such as chalets, individual caravans, yurts and much more. The Common Standards were created to ensure that all properties within the star grading scheme are assessed against the same criteria in England, Wales and Scotland.
The aim of the standards is to add quality without taking away any of the character and style of the property: so when we assess quality, the following factors are taken into account:
• Condition – the maintenance and appearance of property
• Physical and personal comfort – does the quality contribute, or lack of quality detract, in any way from the comfort of the guest?
• Service and Hospitality afforded to guests
• Attention to detail – the evident care taken to ensure that the guest experience is special and that the same high standards are offered to all guests
• Guest choice and ease of use – the guest experience is enhanced through choice, be it the choice of beverages in his/her room or the choice of room temperature.
• Cleanliness – this is of paramount importance to all customers at star levels